June 19, 2016

Mate

The first time I tried mate was at the swimming pool. After my workout I was chatting with the swim coaches and they told me they'd bring some the next time for me to try. It was "mate amarga." Which means bitter. Which means they didn't put any sugar in it. Which means it tasted like hot juice made from fresh grass clippings.

The second time I tried it was after observing a self-reliance group in Fisherton. They added sugar, which was nice, and I actually liked it. But I hadn't eaten anything for a while and it gave me a stomach ache.

One person makes the mate and they pass it around to each person in the group, taking turns to drink from the same straw (which is why I generally choose not to participate). I asked once if it was cultural that the women always prepare the mate. The guys answered quickly that men do it too, but I've yet to see proof of it.

I think it's a pretty cool tradition. It's something that brings people together. Kind of like board games or seven-layer dip or great playlists on Spotify.

4 comments:

  1. My buddy from Argentina prepares his Mate every morning at work. He has a special machine though. Similar to a coffee pot but it does the mate for him. My point is... he is a dude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. That's awesome. I literally laughed out loud from this.

      Delete
  2. Very Nice.....no habló bien inglés kkkkk

    ReplyDelete