August 02, 2015

The Tale of a Group of 30 People

I have a theory about the important things in life. They are intangible and indescribable. These important things exist in the space beyond where language can explain. For the important things, words are weak communicators. I like the way that Paul says it: “…we see through a glass, darkly…” at these things. Not because they aren’t real or because we can’t understand them, but because the only way to connect with them is through feeling.

Relationships, spirituality, compassion, and grief all live in this space. Centuries of poetry, art, and philosophy and we aren’t any closer to explaining what these things really are.

Every once in a while I’ve had the chance to step into a space where one of these important things develops. That’s what this Oxford seminar turned out to be.

Our group was special. It was made up of fantastic individuals that were dedicated to Christ’s gospel and being Christians in business. Together, however, this group of 30 people was amazing. There was a special energy full of love. There were no cliques. No fights. No drama. Nobody excluded anyone. It was obvious that everyone cared about each other. Our group resides in that space beyond where language can explain.

John called attention to it. He reminded us that we will be a part of many groups throughout our lives, but that this one is very special. If we forget, we can do three things: stay in touch, step out of our lives, and remember the Savior.

These people are special to me. Through my interactions with them I felt so loved and cared about. I miss them because of the way that I felt. I felt healed from so many of my struggles.

The last day we had a testimony meeting. I wrote down a couple things that touched my heart.

“I have no idea why I signed up for this.” - Jason

“It’s not just anyone that gets to come to Oxford to study. It’s not just anyone that has the gospel in their life.” - Alyssa

“Thank heavens for [hardship].” - Connie

“I want you all to remember that I love Jesus Christ.” - Jacob

“There is huge value in standing still.” - Jake

“The silence just means [God] is watching intently.” - Jake

“Sharing the gospel in natural and comfortable ways." - Laura

“Oxford has become a holy place for me.” - Laura

“He let me feel his peace.” - Xan

“Now only do we know each others name, but we know each other’s hearts.” - Debora

“Life just works out. And so does eternity.” - Becca

“Scripture study will get done, the prayers will be said, but there is something special about meditation.” - Ross

“I let the Savior deconstruct me and put me back together.” - Alan

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this Jess. That was a special experience. Thank you for being a big part of creating it. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete