July 18, 2015

The Tale of the Archdeacon

Christ's Church College at Oxford is lovely. Evensong was wonderful. The music was fantastic and the message heartfelt. It's overwhelming for me to think about all the people who have passed through the doors. I also think about how this was the only solid building for miles around. People lived in little hut-like houses while down the street there was a magnificent cathedral built to last centuries. Frankly I can't decide what I think about it. Seems unfair, but at the same time I'm grateful to be a beneficiary.

As a prize for lingering longer than all the other patrons we got a personal tour by the archdeacon named Martin. He was great. Showed us a door frame that was built in the 1100's, the staircase and the great hall where Harry Potter was filmed, and talked to us a little about family history. What a guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment